President Donald Trump has announced stricter entry rules for nationals from certain high-risk countries, citing inadequate screening and security concerns. According to a White House fact sheet from December 16, 2025, Nigeria is now one of 15 more countries facing partial travel restrictions. The document, “President Donald J. Trump Further Restricts and Limits the Entry
President Donald Trump has announced stricter entry rules for nationals from certain high-risk countries, citing inadequate screening and security concerns.
According to a White House fact sheet from December 16, 2025, Nigeria is now one of 15 more countries facing partial travel restrictions. The document, “President Donald J. Trump Further Restricts and Limits the Entry of Foreign Nationals to Protect the Security of the United States,” details expanded entry restrictions.
Previously, on October 31, Trump had classified Nigeria as a “country of particular concern” amid claims of widespread persecution of Christians.
U.S. officials stated Nigeria’s designation was shaped by the activities of extremist groups operating within its borders. The statement highlighted the presence of Boko Haram and Islamic State affiliates in certain regions, which officials said complicates effective vetting and screening processes.
The White House also highlighted visa compliance concerns, noting that Nigeria recorded a 5.56 percent overstay rate for B-1/B-2 visas, while F, M, and J visa categories showed an overstay rate of 11.90 percent, based on data from the U.S. Overstay Report.
According to the administration, the proclamation is intended to reinforce national security through what it described as evidence-based and practical restrictions.
The new measures continue to ban entry for nationals of the 12 countries listed in Proclamation 10949: Afghanistan, Burma, Chad, the Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Haiti, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen.
In addition, Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, South Sudan, and Syria have now been subjected to full restrictions, along with individuals travelling on documents issued by the Palestinian Authority. Laos and Sierra Leone, which were earlier under partial limits, have also been upgraded to full restrictions.
Meanwhile, partial restrictions continue to apply to Burundi, Cuba, Togo, and Venezuela.
The proclamation further extends partial entry limitations to 15 more countries, including Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Dominica, Gabon, The Gambia, Malawi, Mauritania, Nigeria, Senegal, Tanzania, Tonga, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
The White House noted that exemptions remain for lawful permanent residents, current visa holders, diplomats, athletes, and individuals whose entry aligns with U.S. national interests. While exemptions tied to family-based immigrant visas associated with high fraud risks have been tightened, discretionary waivers may still be granted on a case-by-case basis.
Officials said the policy is designed to block the entry of individuals for whom the United States lacks sufficient data to properly assess security risks, encourage cooperation from foreign governments, strengthen immigration enforcement, and support broader counterterrorism goals.
“It is the responsibility of the President to ensure that those entering the United States do not pose a danger to the American people,” Trump was quoted as saying.
The fact sheet explained that following consultations with cabinet officials and reviews conducted under Executive Order 14161 and Proclamation 10949, the President concluded that additional restrictions were necessary to safeguard U.S. security interests.
The measures are described as country-specific and aimed at promoting cooperation while taking into account issues such as corruption, unreliable civil and criminal records, weak birth registration systems, limited law enforcement data sharing, and citizenship-by-investment schemes that can obscure identity.
Other factors cited include high visa overstay rates, reluctance to accept repatriated nationals, and the presence of terrorist or transnational criminal networks.
Positioning the move within Trump’s broader security agenda, the White House said the proclamation delivers on his pledge to reinstate travel restrictions on countries considered high-risk and to strengthen border controls. The document also referenced a prior Supreme Court ruling that upheld similar measures as a lawful exercise of presidential authority rooted in national security concerns.
The proclamation additionally announced a partial easing of restrictions on Turkmenistan, citing improved cooperation with U.S. officials. While immigrant visa suspensions remain in place, limitations on nonimmigrant visas for Turkmen nationals have been lifted.

















