IGP Recalls 11,566 VIP Police Officers to Strengthen Security

After President Bola Tinubu’s directive, Inspector General of Police Kayode Egbetokun has decided to recall 11,566 police officers who were previously assigned to VIPs and special protection duties. This move aims to enhance the nation’s security system and provide better protection for vulnerable communities across the country. At a press conference held in Abuja on

After President Bola Tinubu’s directive, Inspector General of Police Kayode Egbetokun has decided to recall 11,566 police officers who were previously assigned to VIPs and special protection duties. This move aims to enhance the nation’s security system and provide better protection for vulnerable communities across the country.

At a press conference held in Abuja on Thursday, the IGP revealed that the officers in question have been moved to frontline policing roles as part of a renewed strategy to strengthen national security.

A few days ago, President Tinubu directed, during a security meeting in Abuja with top police, air force, army officials, and the Director-General of the Department of State Services (DSS), that police officers who provide security to private individuals should be withdrawn. Now, according to the presidential order, VIPs seeking protection must request well-armed personnel from the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps.

The President noted that many remote areas in Nigeria have limited police presence, making it harder to address growing security challenges.

Addressing the president’s directive, the Inspector General of Police (IGP) stated, “In accordance with the President’s instructions, a total of 11,566 officers have been withdrawn from VIP protection assignments. There have been inaccurate reports circulating on social media suggesting that 120,000 police officers are assigned to private individuals in Nigeria; these figures are incorrect and lack any basis. The number of police personnel in the country does not support such claims. As clarified by the presidential directive, 11,566 officers were performing these duties and will now be redeployed to critical policing roles with immediate effect,” he said.

The Inspector General of Police (IGP) further stated that, although similar directives have been issued previously, effective implementation has been challenging due to pressure from individuals seeking such protections. However, he noted that with the president’s new directive, successful execution of the order is now feasible.

“This is not the first time I will be giving these instructions. Recently I gave similar instructions that police should be withdrawn from private individuals, and   private individuals desirous of police protections should reapply, because we saw the need to profile the individuals that are applying for protection.

Actually, the presidential order allows us to carry out the directive we’ve been wanting to enforce. This means implementation will be more effective, as I no longer have to worry about pressure from governors, ministers, friends, or family members. It’s now a presidential directive.

Egbetokun explained that the redeployed personnel would boost operational capacity at a time when the force is grappling with manpower shortages.

“With over 11,000 officers returning to frontline duties, policing capacity will significantly improve, adding that welfare will remain a priority, especially for those posted to rural and high-risk areas,” he said.

He assured Nigerians that the new directive will boost capacity, visibility, and emergency response.

 

 

 

Please follow and like us:
Pin Share

Posts Carousel

Latest Posts

Top Authors

Most Commented

Featured Videos

Please follow and like us:
Pin Share
RSS
Follow by Email