The Federal High Court in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State, has annulled the PDP’s 2025 governorship primary and ordered the party to conduct a new primary before the election. Justice Babs Kuewumi ruled in favour of Prince Funso Ayeni, finding faults in the party’s November 2025 primary that selected Dr Wole Oluyede as its 2026 gubernatorial candidate.
The Federal High Court in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State, has annulled the PDP’s 2025 governorship primary and ordered the party to conduct a new primary before the election.
Justice Babs Kuewumi ruled in favour of Prince Funso Ayeni, finding faults in the party’s November 2025 primary that selected Dr Wole Oluyede as its 2026 gubernatorial candidate.
Ayeni, through his counsel, Kola Kolade SAN, approached the court in a suit marked FHC/AD/CS/29/2025, saying that “the party (PDP) failed to present the original and authentic list of statutory and ad hoc delegates used for the exercise”.
He further told the court of his dissatisfaction with the primary among, arguing that the poll did not have the presence of the original delegates’ list, which constituted a fundamental breach of the PDP guidelines and the Electoral Act, thereby rendering the primary election invalid and not standing.
Reacting to the prayers of the plaintiff, Justice Babs Kuewumi, in his ruling, upheld allegations of irregularities raised by one of the aspirants, Prince Funso Ayeni, against the conduct of the primary.
In his judgement on Tuesday, Kuewumi held that “the conduct of the primary election did not comply with the provisions of the law and the party’s constitution.
“Consequently, the primary election is hereby nullified,” he declared, ordering the PDP in conjunction with the Independent National Electoral Commission to conduct a fresh governorship primary election in strict compliance with the law and relevant guidelines.”
Kuewumi directed that all eligible aspirants be allowed to participate in the fresh primary election to ensure transparency, fairness, and internal democracy within the party.
Reacting to the judgement, counsel to Oluyede, Owoseni Ajayi, who expressed dissatisfaction with the court verdict, said that the judgement would be appealed, adding that Oluyede would file for a stay of execution.
The judgement came after Oluyede’s name was excluded from the list of governorship candidates for the June 20 governorship election published by INEC on December 29.
Oluyede had vowed that he would challenge the situation and explore all available means to ensure his name was restored to the list so that he could participate in the election and win.
In response to the court ruling, the PDP’s South-West Zonal Publicity Secretary, Mr Sanya Atofarati, stated that the party would pursue all available legal options, including filing an appeal.
Atofarati expressed confidence in the PDP’s legal team, stating that the ruling would not impede the party’s preparations for the upcoming election.
He said, “The judgment is not the end of the judicial process. We will explore all available legal options, including appealing this ruling.
“Despite this setback, the PDP’s preparations for the June 20, 2026, governorship election remain on track. Our campaign machinery is already in full motion.”
Atofarati reassured the public that the party’s campaign had not been derailed, emphasising that the PDP had already inaugurated its campaign committee and launched grassroots mobilisation efforts across the state.
Atofarati said, “It may appear like a setback, but it is not. Ekiti people are resolved to change the government due to the underperformance of the current administration, and they see the PDP as the only credible alternative.”
He added, “This ruling represents only the first stage of the judicial process, and we are confident in the outcome of the ongoing proceedings.
“We remain focused and undistracted. Our mobilisation efforts are already in full swing, and we will continue working hard from unit to unit, ward to ward, and across all local governments in Ekiti State.”

















