It was a busy Tuesday for all the security agencies in the country as they gathered on Day 6 of the nationwide #endbadgovernance protests to review all that has happened and strategise on how to curb further protests especially those including looting and destruction of public and private properties. The meeting was held twenty-four hours
It was a busy Tuesday for all the security agencies in the country as they gathered on Day 6 of the nationwide #endbadgovernance protests to review all that has happened and strategise on how to curb further protests especially those including looting and destruction of public and private properties.
The meeting was held twenty-four hours after the President was locked in a meeting with the service chiefs for hours at the presidential villa. But the meeting of the security agencies was held on a day when protesters in most parts of Abuja, the northern part of the country as well as Lagos had a day off the streets allowing the security agencies to retire to the drawing board to strategise how to halt the protest.
In Abuja, on Tuesday, the protesters made a feeble presence along Berger-Jabi road and the suburbs of Abuja. Still, for several hours, the security chiefs met on how to implement the crackdown order given by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
The Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Christopher Musa, presided over the meeting which included all the Service Chiefs, heads of intelligence agencies and heads of para-military agencies to ensure the ongoing hardship protest did not escalate with the display of Russian flags in some parts of the North.
Meanwhile, more Russian flags had resurfaced on the streets of major Nigerian cities including Kano, and Kaduna, among others as the #EndBadGovernance nationwide protest entered its sixth day on Tuesday.
But the Defence Chief, the Defence Chief said the President had given security agencies a directive to clamp down on those he said were involved in a “treasonable felony”. Also on Tuesday, the police disclosed that its operatives had arrested 31 individuals, including one Ahmed in connection with the spread of Russian flags.
Shortly after the security meeting on Tuesday, Authorities of the Nigerian Immigration Services (NIS) confirmed that it had placed sponsors of the #EndBadGovernance protest on its watchlist.
Comptroller-General of NIS, Ms Kemi Nandap, who disclosed this at Defence Headquarters, Abuja said these persons who are in the diaspora would be arrested immediately after they step their legs on Nigerian soil.
Ms Nandap said: “We have diaspora sponsors; they are on our watchlist. They are watch-listed, any attempt they make to come into the country, we’ll be notified, and they will be picked up and handed to the appropriate authority.”
She said the Service had in response to the protest deployed more officers to borders both land and airports to ensure effective manning of those entry and exit points stressing that the Service had also stepped up surveillance to prevent foreign intervention in the country.
Also speaking on the protest, the Director-General of, the Department of State Services (DSS), Alhaji Yusuf Bichi, said the agency had uncovered some sponsors but declined to give further information.
Alhaji Bichi, who was represented at the meeting by the DSS’ spokesman, Mr Peter Afunanya, said some bank accounts had already been blocked. He alleged that some of the persons operating such accounts are staying abroad, adding that they were being monitored.
Kano state
In Kano, Kano state, the Management of Bayero University, Kano has ordered the immediate suspension of all scheduled lectures with immediate effect.
The directive was contained in a statement by the Deputy Registrar, of Public Affairs, Mr. Lamara Garba on behalf of the Acting Registrar: “After a careful review of the situation in Kano State as a result of the National Protest, the University Management has directed that all scheduled lectures should be suspended forthwith,” the statement said.
The Management of the University also commended members of the university community for their support and cooperation in maintaining a peaceful atmosphere across its campuses.
Mr. Garba said as soon as normalcy returns, all academic and administrative activities will resume fully. He advised students residing on the campuses to continue to remain calm and law-abiding, as adequate arrangements have been put in place to ensure their safety.
Niger state
In Suleja, Niger state, hundred of protesters who attempted to unleash terror on the Suleja modern market, Suleja Local Government Area of Niger State were prevented from carrying out their plans by soldiers stationed in the town.
The protesters had gathered at Suleja Junction, along the ever-busy Kaduna-Suleja-Abuja highway, to invade the biggest market in the state, when security agents, mainly soldiers, quickly mobilized to the area and dispersed them.
When the #End Bad Governance protest started in Niger state, Suleja remained the epic centre of the ongoing nationwide protest in the state when day one of the protest turned into violence. Six people were killed and several others injured on the fateful day. It was gathered that the protests were informed by the killing of six protesters which they (protesters) vowed to avenge their death.
However, the Niger State Public Relation Officer(PPRO), Mr Wasiu Abiodun, a Superintendent of Police said no protester was killed during the August 1 protests. However, the protesters insisted that six people were killed while over 15 people were injured during an encounter with the police.
Meanwhile, a member representing the Tafa constituency in the State House of Assembly, Mallam Mohammed Sani Idris, expressed worries over the influx of miscreants into the town, warning that if the situation was not checked, Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory would be affected by the activities of miscreants.
He said the activities of miscreants in the area have made lives difficult for the residents, adding that it was on record that the #EndBadGovernance protesters began in the area because of the activities of hoodlums.
According to him, the pressure is high on the local government because the LGA shared a boundary with Kagarko in Kaduna state from where criminals moved into the area to wreak havoc.
Jigawa state
Protesters on Tuesday descended on the palatal home of the House of Representatives member representing the Gumel/Maigatari/Sule Tankarkar/Gagarawa Federal Constituency, Jigawa State, Alhaji Nazifi Sani Gumel which they raised down. The video of the burning property which trended on X captured protesters setting fire to the mansion.
It was a case of hoodlums masquerading as protesters. The youths accused Gumel of neglecting his constituency since his election 14 months ago during the last general elections.
Governor Umar Namadi of the State on Thursday imposed a 24-hour curfew following vandalism and looting of public and private properties during the protest.
However, the curfew was relaxed on Monday, August 5 in 19 local government areas after a review of the security situation in the state.














