Protest Day Five: Protesters Still on the Streets Despite the President’s Appeal

Protest Day Five: Protesters Still on the Streets Despite the President’s Appeal

…*FEC Meeting Postponed For Security Meeting …Protesters Raising Russian Flags …*Four Arrested in Abuja Despite President Tinubu’s appeal in a broadcast on Sunday asking the protesters to go off the streets to create room for dialogue, demonstrations have continued in some states with greater intensity in some northern states. Security agencies have swung into action

…*FEC Meeting Postponed For Security Meeting

…Protesters Raising Russian Flags

…*Four Arrested in Abuja

Despite President Tinubu’s appeal in a broadcast on Sunday asking the protesters to go off the streets to create room for dialogue, demonstrations have continued in some states with greater intensity in some northern states.
Security agencies have swung into action with more vigour to force demonstrators to vacate the streets.

Early on Monday, men of the Nigeria Police arrested a leader of one of the groups mobilising for the protest in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. Police authorities had earlier hinted at what Nigerians should expect on Monday when the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) Ms. Josephine Adeh in a statement said the FCT Commissioner of Police, Mr. Ben Igweh, requested journalists who intended to cover the ongoing nationwide protest to dress in their organisations’ jackets

The Commissioner of Police also asked journalists to come along with valid means of identification. Hours after the Police statement, security agents attached to the Department of State Service (DSS) allegedly arrested Mr. Michael Lenin, a leader of one of the groups mobilising for the ongoing 10-day nationwide protest. But this has been denied by the service on its X handle said “The DSS can confirm that Adaramoye Michael (aka Michael Lenin is not in its custody”

Mr Lenin is the national coordinator of the Youths Rights Campaign. The Director of Mobilisation for the Take It Back Movement, Mr. Damilare Adenola, confirmed the arrest on Monday morning. He said the DSS arrested Mr Lenin at midnight in his Apo-Dutse residence in Abuja, the nation’s capital city. According to him, lawyers were already making efforts to get Mr Lenin out of detention.

Mr Lenin had on Sunday held a press conference reacting to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s nationwide address, describing it as empty and urging protesters to troop out on Monday. According to him, President Tinubu was “out of touch” with the masses’ reality and the protesters’ demands. He said President Tinubu’s description of the protests as politically motivated is an attempt to “call a dog a bad name so that it could be harmed”.

Mr. Lenin added that President Tinubu’s address did not address any of the protester’s demands. “Tomorrow, we will be out en masse. Our people will be out to further the protests because the protests continue. As we all recall, it is a 10-day protest,” he said.

Mr. Lenin was not the only Nigerian arrested on Monday in Abuja, the police tear-gassed protesters in the Karu area of the FCT and arrested three persons after several attempts to disperse the protesters. The protesters were said to have started assembling when security agents went after them and arrested three.

It was gathered that security operatives are everywhere in the nation’s capital to monitor the situation and prevent the breakdown of law and order. There had been an increased vehicular movement on day five of the nationwide protests in FCT, however, government offices were still deserted.

It was also observed that the Federal Secretariat in Abuja is open, but most officials of Ministries, Departments, and Agencies, MDAs, are not in the offices the civil servants expressed fear that protesters may return and clash with security operatives at the popular Eagle Square, Abuja.

Similarly, at the Moshood Abiola Stadium, security personnel were said to have also fired teargas at protesters over agitation to move to town.

President Tinubu Shelves FEC Meeting, Meets Security Chiefs
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Monday postponed this week’s Federal Executive Council meeting to an undisclosed date and instead met with service chiefs. The meeting had in attendance the Vice President, the National Security Adviser, all service chiefs, the Inspector General of Police, the Comptroller Generals of Customs, and Immigration, and the Chief of Staff to the president.

The urgent meeting with security chiefs may not be unconnected with the ongoing nationwide hunger and hardship protests.

General Christopher Musa, Chief of Defence Staff, says those flying Russian flag in Nigeria have committed a treasonable offence. He spoke after the emergency security meeting with President Bola Tinubu at Aso Rock, the General vowed that the law would catch up with such people.

“We wanted to brief Mr President on the situation on ground and we know that since the riot has started all the security agencies you can see all of us together. Initially, when the riot started they said it was a peaceful one but we have realised that there are individuals that are willing to take advantage of it to cause mayhem. And we can see clearly what has happened since it has commenced. Criminals have taken over, a lot of looting taking place, stealing and all sorts happening.

“And besides, all of us have seen it where foreign flags have been flown within the sovereignty of Nigeria, and that is totally unacceptable. We are warning in clear terms and the President has also said we should convey this, that we will not accept anybody, any individual flying any foreign flag in Nigeria. That is treasonable offence, and it will be viewed and treated as such. So nobody shall allow himself to be used by any individual.

“Also the issue of coups,Nigeria is a sovereign nation, Nigeria is a democratic nation all security agencies are here to defend democracy and ensure that democracy continues to strive. We will not accept anyone pushing or taking any action, seemingly or for whatever reason to want to push for any change of government. Democracy is what we stand for democracy is what will continue to defend.

“For those of them flying flags and if you’ll see a lot of them are kids being pushed to do that. We’re following up with those ones are sponsoring them. Those are pushing them because you know, the flies were also made. We have identified those areas and we are going to take serious action against that.

Investigations revealed that Nigerians, mostly youths, are regrouping across the country for the fifth day of the #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria protests. President Tinubu had on Sunday called for dialogue and an immediate end to the nationwide protests that have rocked the nation since Thursday. He said his administration is ready to listen to and address the protesters’ concerns, affirming that he has heard their calls “loud and clear”.

However, protesters have continued their demonstrations in major cities in the northern part of the country, including Abuja, Kaduna, Kano and few other states

Protesters Waving Russian, Other Foreign Countries’ Flags

More foreign flags have been sighted in some parts of the northern states of the country as the #EndBadGovernanceProtest enters its fifth day. Reports say a faction of protesters arrived in Jos, Plateau capital, on Sunday with Russian and Japanese flags, forcing local protest organisers to conclude the march early.

More protesters waving Russian flags were also spotted in Kaduna State and Kano State, where the trend was first observed. The protesters, hundreds of mostly underaged youths, urged Russian President Vladimir Putin to intervene in the country’s hunger issue. “We are Nigerians, Russia; we need your help,” reads an inscription on one of the flags.

Jigawa state
The Jigawa state youth leader of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) campaign council for Alhaji Atiku Abubakar in the 2023 presidential election, Alhaji Umar Danjani, and 73 others have been ordered to be remanded over alleged arson, at the head office of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state.

The Jigawa State Police Command Public Relations Officer, Mr. Lawan Adam said Alhaji Danjani was arrested at the All Progressives Congress (APC) secretariat during the #EndBadGovernance protest in Dutse, the state capital.

Addressing a press conference on the issue, the state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Abdullahi Tijjani said the suspects were subsequently charged with criminal conspiracy, mischief by fire, rioting, disturbance of public peace, theft, and destruction of billboards.

His words: “Some unscrupulous and unpatriotic elements who are bent on destabilising the polity decided to use and engage under-aged children and teenagers, leading to violence and destruction of public properties in the state capital, and other places.

‘They engaged in the destruction of government properties and disruption of economic activities in the state and the security agents were left with no option other than to use minimal force to disperse the violent protesters’, it added.

“The violent protests spread to some local government areas such as Hadejia, Birnin Kudu, Gumel, Kazaure, Babura, and some other areas. About 312 suspects have been arrested out of which 74 of them have been charged to court”, the Police commissioner said.

A magistrate court in the state, however, remanded Alhaji Danjani, and other suspects in the correctional facility in Birnin Kudu Local Government Area, but Amnesty International faulted the remand of Alhaji Danjani calling for his immediate release.

Kaduna State
In Kaduna State, Russian flag-wielding youths and street urchins took over some streets in Kaduna and Zaria looting shops and harassing passers bye. This development forced the Kaduna State government acting on the recommendation of its Security Council on Monday to impose a 24-hour curfew on Kaduna and Zaria Metropolitan Cities. This is a result of the protests in the cities of Kaduna and Zaria.

Although normalcy had been restored in some parts of Kaduna, thousands of youths are out on the streets, demanding an end to what they described as bad governance. In a statement on Monday, Mr. Samuel Aruwan, Overseeing Commissioner, Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs, said the measure was taken in the interest of peace.

“The Kaduna State Security Council under the leadership of Governor Uba Sani, following a review of the security situation in the State, hereby notifies citizens of the following:

“There is sufficient evidence to indicate that the ongoing protest has been hijacked by criminal elements who have resorted to looting of shops and destruction of private and public property.

“Given this unfortunate development, the Kaduna State Security Council has unanimously resolved to impose a 24-hour curfew on Kaduna and Zaria Metropolises and environs with immediate effect.

“Citizens are advised to remain indoors while security forces continue to work to maintain safety and security. Monitoring will be sustained for review of the curfew as required.”

Meanwhile, operatives of the Nigeria Police on Monday arrested one Ahmed Tailor in Kano with seven foreign flags which one of the sponsors had contacted him to sew.

Plateau State
Plateau State Governor, Mr. Caleb Mutfwang, has imposed a 24-hour curfew on the Jos/Bukuru metropolis in the state capital to tackle the actions of some persons who have taken undue advantage of the nationwide protest to unleash terror on innocent citizens.

Plateau State Governor, Caleb Mutfwang, has imposed a 24-hour curfew on the Jos/Bukuru metropolis in the state capital to tackle the actions of some persons who have taken undue advantage of the nationwide protest to unleash terror on innocent citizens.

In a statement by his Director of Press and Public Affairs, Gyang Bere, on Sunday night, the governor said the curfew is effective from midnight on Sunday, August 4, 2024.

According to the statement, the governor in consultation with state security agencies, took this decision after reviewing the situation.

It said criminal elements, armed with daggers, machetes, and other dangerous weapons, broke into shops and restaurants along Bauchi Road and Zololo Junction in Jos and looted foodstuffs and other valuable items.

“The curfew is in the best interest of all citizens and everyone should comply fully to ensure the safety and well-being of all residents.”

“The governor has directed security agencies in the state to ensure the total enforcement of the curfew across the Local Government Area.

Meanwhile, a former Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Mr. Solomon Dalung, who served under ex-President Muhammadu Buhari, on Sunday, faulted President Bola Tinubu’s national broadcast, seeking an end to the ongoing nationwide hunger protest insisting the protest must continue until their demands are met.

Mr. Dalung, who led the anti-government protest in Jos, Plateau State last Thursday, was again at an open-air Sunday church service held by the protesters in Jos.

The protesters, brandishing the Nigerian flag and Russian flag blocked the Old Airport Roundabout, compelling motorists to seek alternative routes within the metropolis.

Please follow and like us:
Pin Share

Posts Carousel

Latest Posts

Top Authors

Most Commented

Featured Videos

Please follow and like us:
Pin Share
RSS
Follow by Email