EFCC Says Not in Our Custody News of the arrest of fugitive Kogi state’s strongman and former governor of the state hit the airwaves like a bolt from the blue on Wednesday, but the news was yet to sink properly into the ears before Nigerians realised that the content was from Pandora’s box: Simple in
EFCC Says Not in Our Custody
News of the arrest of fugitive Kogi state’s strongman and former governor of the state hit the airwaves like a bolt from the blue on Wednesday, but the news was yet to sink properly into the ears before Nigerians realised that the content was from Pandora’s box: Simple in the beginning yet complex and confusing.
A statement by Mr. Ohiare Michael, Director, Yahaya Bello Media Office triggered the controversy when he said: “Former Governor of Kogi State, His Excellency, Alh Yahaya Bello today, honoured the invitation of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
“This decision was made after due consultations with his family, legal team, and political allies.
“The former Governor, who has great respect for the rule of law and constituted authority, had, all the while, only sought the enforcement of his fundamental rights to ensure due process.
“The case has been before a competent court of jurisdiction, and Alhaji Yahaya Bello had been duly represented by his legal team at every hearing. It is important for the former Governor to now honour the invitation of the EFCC to clear his name as he has nothing to hide and nothing to fear.
“The former Governor believes firmly in the efforts of the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to place Nigeria on the path of sustainable economic development and supports the fight against corruption in the country.
“It is on record that he was the first Governor of Kogi State to put in place an anti-corruption mechanism to check graft and ensure that the resources of the State work for the people of the State.
“He was accompanied to the EFCC Headquarters by high-profile Nigerians.
EFCC Denies His Being in Custody
But a few hours after the statement, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), through its spokesperson, Mr. Dele Oyewale, described reports that Bello surrendered to the commission as “incorrect”.
Mr. Oyewale stated: “Media reports today that a former Governor of Kogi State, Mr. Yahaya Bello is in the holding facility of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, is incorrect. The Commission wishes to state that Bello is not in its custody.
“Bello, already declared wanted by the Commission for alleged N80.2 billion money laundering charges, remains wanted with a subsisting warrant for his arrest.”
The Former governor is facing prosecution by the EFCC alongside his nephew, Alhaji Ali Bello, Alhaji Dauda Suleiman, and Alhaji Abdulsalam Hudu on 19-count charges bordering on money laundering to the tune of N80.2 billion.
The former governor had consistently refused to take a plea before the court despite several attempts made by the antigraft agency to this effect and arrest him by the EFCC.
However, there was an unconfirmed third report that Alhaji Yahaya Bello did not surrender himself but was arrested at midnight on Tuesday in Lokoja in a sting operation by operatives of the Commission.














